Agra, located in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh, is home to several world-famous tourist attractions. Here are some of the top things to do in Agra:
- Visit the Taj Mahal – This iconic monument is a must-see for anyone visiting Agra. It is a beautiful white marble mausoleum that was built by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his wife Mumtaz Mahal.
- Explore Agra Fort – This UNESCO World Heritage Site is a massive red sandstone fortress that was built by Mughal Emperor Akbar in the 16th century. You can explore the palace rooms, courtyards, and gardens within the fort.
- Visit the Tomb of Itimad-ud-Daulah – Also known as the Baby Taj, this beautiful mausoleum is located on the banks of the Yamuna River. It was built by the Mughal Empress Nur Jahan in memory of her father.
- Explore Fatehpur Sikri – This abandoned city was once the capital of the Mughal Empire and is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You can explore the palace rooms, courtyards, and other structures in this beautiful complex.
- Shop at Sadar Bazaar – This bustling market is a great place to shop for handicrafts, textiles, and souvenirs. You can also try some local street food while you are there.
- Enjoy a sunset view of the Taj Mahal – Watching the sun set over the Taj Mahal is a beautiful experience. You can get a great view from the Mehtab Bagh, a beautiful garden complex located across the Yamuna River from the Taj Mahal.
Remember that Agra is a big city with many interesting places to explore, so it’s impossible to cover everything in one day. But these activities should give you a good taste of what Agra has to offer.