The Indian railway network is one of the largest and busiest rail networks in the world, with over 115,000 kilometers of track and more than 7,300 stations. It is operated by the Indian Railways, a government-owned entity, and serves millions of passengers every day. The network connects almost every part of India, from major cities to remote villages, and offers a range of classes of travel, from budget-friendly options to luxurious trains like the Palace on Wheels and the Maharaja Express. The Indian Railways is also the largest employer in the country, providing jobs to over 1.3 million people.
You can book an Indian Railway ticket online through the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) website or mobile app. Follow these steps to book a ticket:
- Register on the IRCTC website or mobile app if you haven’t already done so.
- Enter your travel details, such as the departure and arrival stations, date of travel, and the number of passengers.
- Choose the train and class of travel that you prefer.
- Enter the passenger details, such as name, age, and gender.
- Select the payment option and make the payment for the ticket.
- Once the payment is confirmed, you will receive a booking confirmation with your ticket details.
Alternatively, you can also book a ticket through a railway reservation counter or an authorized travel agent. You will need to provide your travel details and pay the fare for the ticket at the time of booking.
There are several third-party apps that you can use to book Indian Railway tickets. Here are a few popular ones:
- Paytm: You can book train tickets through the Paytm app, which also offers cashback and other discounts on ticket bookings.
- Cleartrip: Cleartrip is another popular app that allows you to book train tickets, as well as flights and hotels.
- MakeMyTrip: MakeMyTrip is a well-known travel booking platform that also allows you to book Indian Railway tickets.
It’s important to note that while third-party apps may offer additional features and benefits, it’s always advisable to book through the official IRCTC website or app to avoid any issues with your booking..
Online Food Delivery on Train
IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation) offers a range of food options for passengers traveling on Indian Railways trains. Here are some of the options available:
- E-catering: Passengers can order food online through the IRCTC e-catering service. This service offers a variety of cuisines from popular restaurants and food chains, and the food is delivered directly to the passenger’s seat on the train.
- Onboard catering: IRCTC also provides onboard catering services, with meals served directly to passengers on the train. Passengers can choose from vegetarian and non-vegetarian meal options, as well as special meals for those with dietary restrictions.
- Jan Ahaar: Jan Ahaar is a budget-friendly food option offered by IRCTC, with meals priced at Rs. 15-25. The meals are available at selected railway stations and are served in eco-friendly plates and cups.
- Rail Neer: Rail Neer is IRCTC’s packaged drinking water brand, which is available on trains and at railway stations. The water is purified and packaged in eco-friendly bottles.
It’s important to note that while IRCTC offers a range of food options for passengers, it’s always advisable to check the quality and hygiene of the food before consuming it.
Accepted payment options
The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) offers several payment methods for booking train tickets online through its website or mobile app. Here are some of the payment options available:
- Debit card: You can use your debit card to make payment for your train ticket on the IRCTC website or mobile app. Visa, Mastercard, Maestro, and Rupay debit cards are accepted.
- Credit card: You can also use your credit card to make payment for your train ticket. Visa, Mastercard, and American Express credit cards are accepted.
- Net banking: You can use net banking to make payment for your train ticket if you have an account with one of the banks listed on the IRCTC website.
- Mobile wallets: IRCTC also accepts payments through popular mobile wallets like Paytm, PhonePe, Google Pay, and others.
- Unified Payment Interface (UPI): UPI is a payment system that allows you to make payments directly from your bank account using a UPI ID. IRCTC accepts payments through UPI-enabled apps like BHIM, Google Pay, PhonePe, and others.
It’s important to note that some payment methods may have additional charges or fees, and the availability of payment options may vary depending on the booking class and other factors.